- State board decides against warning labels on cannabis productsby Fred Thys on December 3, 2021 at 9:01 pm
“There’s a lot more that can be done than just trying to pack a whole bunch of information on a tiny little label,” said James Pepper, chair of the Vermont Cannabis Control Board. Read the story on VTDigger here: State board decides against warning labels on cannabis products.
- 3 Burlington school administrators on paid leave amid state, district investigationsby Jack Lyons on December 3, 2021 at 8:52 pm
The employees on leave include the principal and assistant principal of J.J. Flynn Elementary School, plus a member of the state’s ethics commission. Read the story on VTDigger here: 3 Burlington school administrators on paid leave amid state, district investigations.
- Emerald ash borer reaches White River Junctionby Valley News on December 3, 2021 at 8:21 pm
The emerald ash borer is a vivid green jewel beetle that feeds on ash trees, wiping out virtually all of them when it infests a region. Read the story on VTDigger here: Emerald ash borer reaches White River Junction.
- After Orleans County judge tosses cases over delays, Vermont judiciary pledges fixes to allow trialsby Alan J. Keays on December 3, 2021 at 5:48 pm
While the Vermont judiciary announced actions Thursday to improve the air-moving systems in the Orleans County courthouse, the county’s top prosecutor and a defense attorney question why it took so long. Read the story on VTDigger here: After Orleans County judge tosses cases over delays, Vermont judiciary pledges fixes to allow trials.
- Kidnapping suspect’s bid to flee into Canada thwarted by lack of Covid-19 testby Alan J. Keays on December 3, 2021 at 5:23 pm
Christopher Constanzo, 19, of Connecticut, was arrested Thursday morning at the Highgate Springs border crossing in Vermont. He appeared in court Friday afternoon via video from a Vermont jail and was ordered to remain in custody until a hearing next week. Read the story on VTDigger here: Kidnapping suspect’s bid to flee into Canada thwarted by lack of Covid-19 test.
- Vermont ends November with record-breaking streak of severe Covid-19 outcomesby Mike Dougherty on December 3, 2021 at 5:08 pm
Vermont reported more hospitalizations and deaths from September through November than during the worst months of last winter’s surge. Read the story on VTDigger here: Vermont ends November with record-breaking streak of severe Covid-19 outcomes.
- Vermont Conversation: Can farmers survive?by David Goodman on December 3, 2021 at 3:49 pm
Half of America’s 2 million farms made less than $300 in 2019, according to author Beth Hoffman. That’s a recipe for poverty, not success. Read the story on VTDigger here: Vermont Conversation: Can farmers survive?.
- 800 Member donations needed by Friday, Dec. 10by VTDigger Member Team on December 3, 2021 at 2:27 pm
Less than 2 percent of our readers help pay for VTDigger's nonprofit news. If you can, please help us stay on track during our Annual Membership Drive. We need 800 members to step up in the next week! Read the story on VTDigger here: 800 Member donations needed by Friday, Dec. 10.
- Vince Bolduc: Better urban and regional planning can reduce global warmingby Commentary on December 3, 2021 at 10:34 am
We may need to make it easier — not harder — to develop denser housing in the core communities of Chittenden County. In the exurbs, we should do the opposite. Read the story on VTDigger here: Vince Bolduc: Better urban and regional planning can reduce global warming.
- Kolby LaMarche: Vermonters ought to remain wide-eyed and wary of VTGOPby Commentary on December 3, 2021 at 10:04 am
The new party chair, Paul Dame, has failed to shepherd moderate Republicans into his political arc of friendship. The “Let’s Go Brandon” rally, which Dame proudly championed, was seen by elected Republicans as sending the wrong message to Vermont voters. Read the story on VTDigger here: Kolby LaMarche: Vermonters ought to remain wide-eyed and wary of VTGOP.
CBS Top Stories
- Omicron variant spreads as vaccination rate hovers near 60%on December 4, 2021 at 10:07 pm
The Omicron variant continues to spread, but the Delta variant remains the dominant strain in the U.S. for now. Cases and hospitalizations are surging in certain areas as the nationwide vaccination rate remains around 60%. Lilia Luciano reports.
- Parents of suspected Michigan school shooter plead not guiltyon December 4, 2021 at 10:07 pm
James and Jennifer Crumbley, the parents of the suspected Michigan school shooter, appeared in court after being arrested early Saturday. They have each been charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter. Michael George reports.
- Biden and Putin to speak amid growing tension between Russia and Ukraineon December 4, 2021 at 10:07 pm
Intelligence reports indicate that Russia may be planning military action against Ukraine. President Biden and Russian President Vladimir Putin are scheduled to have a teleconference on Tuesday as the crisis escalates. Christina Ruffini has more.
- Scientists studying whether Omicron is more resistant to vaccineson December 4, 2021 at 10:07 pm
Scientists around the world are studying the COVID-19 Omicron variant to determine if it is more resistant to vaccines than previous strains of the virus. Debora Patta reports.
- Christmas tree prices rise due to droughton December 4, 2021 at 10:07 pm
Even Christmas trees are not immune to supply chain problems. One Minnesota tree farm expects Christmas tree prices to increase after summer droughts caused them to lose 10% of their crop. CBS Minnesota’s John Lauritsen has more.
- "CBS Weekend News" headlines for Saturday, December 4, 2021on December 4, 2021 at 9:49 pm
Here's a look at the top stories making headlines on the "CBS Weekend News with Jamie Yuccas."
- "48 Hours" show scheduleon December 4, 2021 at 9:39 pm
True-crime. Social justice. Impact. To miss it would be a crime.
- 6 Michigan teens charged for allegedly threatening schoolson December 4, 2021 at 9:32 pm
A seventh teenager was charged for allegedly possessing a weapon in a school zone.
- Sneak peek: What Happened to the Perfect Child?on December 4, 2021 at 9:21 pm
DVR ALERT | GAME DELAY: After a young girl is adopted from Russia, her American parents come to believe she is capable of murder and return her. Years later, "48 Hours" contributor Troy Roberts learns her surprising story. Watch Saturday, December 4 at 10:14/9:14c on CBS and Paramount+.
- This week on "Sunday Morning" (December 5)on December 4, 2021 at 7:31 pm
A look at the features for this week's broadcast of the #1 Sunday morning news program